I'm thrilled that I have so many quilters participating! I have seen such wonderful blocks. I will be posting them on a site so that people can vote on them. If you have not sent me the images you still have time. I will be posting them on Monday. Please email them to email@example.com. I'm hoping you will share no matter what you think they look like.
Today you will get instructions for the two state blocks of Alaska. I found two blocks, one easy and one more challenging. I decided this time I will give you templates for both blocks. You may choose to fussy cut a part of the block that is different from mine. You will need to send a message again through the contact form to get the pdf of the templates.
If you are doing this for the first time, go back to the previous postings to see the general instructions for fussy cutting and establishing an accurate 1/4" seam allowance.
Just for fun I wanted to see what the first two blocks would look like in a quilt.
Fabric 1 Theme
Fabric 2 Light.
Fabric 3 Dark or medium dark.
CUTTING INSTRUCTIONS (These are what I did, feel free to change the fabrics and fussy cut other sections.)
Fabric 1: Fussy cut four Template A.
Fabric 2: Cut four Template A, four Template B, and one Template C.
Fabric 3: Cut four Template B.
1. Sew a Fabric 1 triangle patch to a Fabric 2 triangle patch (Template A). Make 4. Press to the darker fabric.
2. Sew a Fabric 2 rectangle patch to a Fabric 3 rectangle patch (Template B). Make 4. Press to darker fabric.
3. Layout the four half square triangles, four rectangle units and one Fabric 2 square patch. (Template C)
4. Sew the center sections to the left sections. Chain stitch but do not cut apart. Press to rectangle sections. Then sew the last row to the center row. Do not cut sections apart. Press to rectangle sections.
5. Sew rows together. Press to center.
Fabric 1: Theme
Fabric 2: Dark 1
Fabric 3: Dark 2
Fabric 4: Light
Fabric 1: With Template A, fussy cut four left and four right sections. Turn the template upside down to cut the left sections.
Fabric 2: Cut four Template B.
Fabric 3: Cut four Template D. Cut two Template C.
Fabric 4: Cut eight Template C. Cut two Template E. Cut two Template F.
1. Sew two Fabric 4 Template C patches to each side of a Fabric 2 Template B patch. Make four. Press to Fabric 4.
2. Sew a left and right Fabric 1 Template A patch to the section from step 1. Pay attention to the direction of the fussy cut piece to make sure it is in the correct direction on all of the sections. Make four. Press to Fabric 1.
3. Sew a Fabric 3 Template C patch to a Fabric 4 Template E patch. Make two. Press to Fabric 3.
4. Sew the section from step 3 to the bottom of the section from step 2. Make two. Press to Fabric 4.
5. Sew two Fabric 3 Template D patches to both sides of Fabric 4 Template F patch as illustrated. Make two. Press to Fabric 3.
6. Sew the section from step 5 to the bottom of the remaining two sections from step 2. Press to fussy cut fabrics.
7. Sew a section from step 6 to a section from step 4 as illustrated. Press to the left. Make 2.
8. Matching centers, sew two halves together.
Tomorrow I head for Des Moines, Iowa to film a segment for Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting show! I am so excited. As soon as I find out when the segment will be aired I will let you know. It is broadcasted on PBS.
Good luck and be sure to share your finished block. I can't wait to see what you come up with this time!! As always, do what you love and love what you do. Thanks for reading and feel free to share with your quilting friends.