Search This Blog

Sunday, October 14, 2018

NATIONAL QUILTER'S CIRCLE MEDALLION MYSTERY






Welcome and I am so glad you will be doing my mystery quilt! This is the first time I have designed a mystery pattern. I've done many medallion patterns and block of the month patterns, but never a mystery one. I am so excited to see what everyone comes up with. If you haven't signed up for it or seen the first installment, just click on the heading (Mystery Medallion part 1) above. You have the option of making the large quilt, 83" x 101" or a lap version 65" x 65". The large quilt just has more installments so if you want to make the lap version you will not have to follow it until the end. My goal on this project is for you to have fun doing it. My motto is "Quilting should be fun, not hard!". Be adventurous in your fabric choices. You might surprise yourself.

When choosing fabrics, I always start with a large or main print with lots of colors. That way I can use those colors to pick coordinating prints. I also always like to use a very light and very dark fabric in my quilts for contrast and then pick coordinating prints in different size prints and tones. For some of you who have problems choosing fabrics, use the experts at your local quilt shop or stick with specific fabric collections where everything is already coordinated for you. 

This fabric collection I used to make this quilt is called "Heavenly Hydrangeas" by Sue Zipkin for Clothworks. You might still be able to find some on the internet or in your local quilt shop.

If you don't know what a medallion quilt is, it is a quilt that starts with a large block in the center and then borders are added around it. Some borders may be plain and some may have pieced blocks in them. 

Since NQC released the fabric requirements and first block early I have been unprepared. I was hoping to have my blog done so I could help you make this first block. Some of you have already finished it and what I have seen are all great! I also saw that Ashley posted a video on making Flying Geese sections. She did a great job so take some time to watch it as there may be other Flying Geese sections in this quilt and you may use both methods that she showed throughout this quilt. You can see it here: Ashley Hough Flying Geese tutorial.

I always start any project and lessons, when I am teaching, with the importance of having an accurate and consistent 1/4" seam allowance. Please take time to watch my Youtube video on how I establish my personal 1/4" seam on my sewing machine.



I know everyone has their own method for getting their 1/4" seams and if you are happy with the results of yours by all means, continue what you are doing. If you are not, try this to see if it helps. You don't need to use my little guide but if you do want to purchase it you can find it here: Perfect 1/4" seam guide. It is only $3.50 with $1.00 shipping charge. (US rate.)

I want to also show you one other way to do Flying Geese units using my Cutting Corners template set. I use it in two ways. One is to eliminate the need to draw the line on the backs of the squares when making them with squares and rectangles and the other is to cut accurate half-square and quarter-square triangles.



This first block uses two squares and a rectangle to make the Geese units. Here is how I use this template. After laying the square, right sides together on one side of the rectangle, line up the triangle template along the left edge of the square as illustrated. You can see that the seam line (dotted line) goes through the bottom right corner.



Using your rotary cutter, cut off the corner. Now sew with a 1/4" seam allowance and press towards the small triangle.


Repeat with the other side of the rectangle placing the square right sides together and lining up the template on that side.



If you want to try my Cutting Corners template set, you can find them here: Cutting Corners. In the next blog I will show you how to use the Cutting Corners template set for cutting half-square and quarter-square triangles.

I hope you find my pattern easy to follow. If you don't understand something please contact me and I will help walk you through it.

PRIZE DRAWING

For my first NQC blog post I will be having a drawing for one of my Perfect 1/4" Seam Guides and Cutting Corners template set (two winners). Simply leave a comment to be in the drawing. The first winner who contacts me gets to choose which one they want. For my international friends, since shipping is so high, if they win, I will send them a pdf of a pattern of their choice. I will pick a winner when the next installment comes out.

If you want to continue to follow my blog or get notices when I post something new, just click on the link on the right to sign up for Bloglovin'. Please let me know if any of the links in this blog don't work.

As always, do what you love and love what you do. Thank you for reading and feel free to share with your quilting friends.

I do have workshop videos through iQuilt (Kaleidostars) and Craftsy  now called Bluprint (Clever Curves). I hope you get a chance to check them out.

Also consider joining National Quilter's Circle.


MyBluprint.com
Bluprint Monthly for $9.99 - Or Bluprint Annual for $100 + FREE Get Started Box (through 10/20) Expiration Date: 10/20/2018 11:59pm MST
Restrictions: One (1) redemption per email address 10/5/2018 12:01AM Mountain Time through 10/20/2018 11:59PM Mountain Time. Price is only valid for the first 12 months of service, after which you will be charged our standard subscription rate of $14.99 for monthly or $120 for annual plans. Annual subscribers will receive their selected Bluprint Box via mail after subscription. Bluprint Box offer limited to US only. Offer cannot be combined with other offers, and is not redeemable for cash. Cancelled Craftsy Unlimited and cancelled or current Bluprint customers are not eligible for this offer. Free shipping is only available in the U.S. You can cancel at any time, but your annual subscription will remain active for the full period and prorated refunds will not be offered. Subject to additional terms, see full details at checkout. Bluprint may end or alter this offer at their discretion. 


104 comments:

Unknown said...

This is my first mystery quilt and I’m excited to see how it turns out. Still need to work in my 1/4” seams, but I will get there.

Unknown said...

this will be my first mystery block quilt - excited and looking forward to the challenges. I have been doing patchwork and a little bit of quilting (take my "important work" to a long armer) for just under one year.

Unknown said...

I can't wait to start!

Robin Graham said...

I’m so excited to get started on this mystery quilt. I did my first flying geese pattern as a test for work couple weeks ago. Thank you!!

Blu-horse@hotmail.com said...

This will be so much fun. Thank you!

Unknown said...

Well first time for many of us. I hope I can figure this out. I stress over fabric selection and being a mystery has amped it up, but will drink some chamomile tea and head to my stash to begin with and go from there. Happy sewing to all the newbies we are in this together.

quiltgal56 said...

I am excited about the mystery quilt. I haven't done one in years. I will be selecting my fabrics this week as I have been gone for 2 weeks on vacation.

Ginny said...

I am still working on selecting my fabrics. Guess I better hurry up or the challenge will be over before I even start. LOL

Unknown said...

Looking forward to the challenge and hopefully getting better at flying geese.

Unknown said...

Looking forward to the challenge and hopefully getting better at flying geese.

JSimon said...

This is my first mystery quilt and I’m so excited!!! Looking forward to the surprises ahead!!! Yay!

Melanie said...

This is my first mystery quilt too. I loved seeing your blog, showing how to trim before sewing on the flying geese because I hated having to cut after sewing! Thanks.

Unknown said...

Thank you for planning this quilt. I have chosen my fabrics from my stash and I am ready to start.
cgasser150@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Looking forward to this! Linda@Ohara7.org

Unknown said...

I am so excited to do this! It is my second quilt and first mystery quilt! I am excited for the challenge as a new quilter and can't wait to see how it all comes together:) Thanks!
Cat
dreamr013@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Thank you for the detailed information. This is my first ever attempt at a quilt, so all the info I can get is so helpful. Thank you.

Unknown said...

Looking forward to the challenge and hopefully getting better at flying geese.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Thank you for the detailed information. I've never quilted before so any info I can get is really helpful. Thank you.

Unknown said...

I have not done a Mystery Quilt before. Looking forward to learning new techniques.

Unknown said...

I am so looking forward to this Mystery Quilt. I love medallion quilts and can’t wait to get started. Do you have a recommendation for the width of the small border stripe fabric? Thank you so much for your doing this.

MommaJ said...

Can’t wait!!!!
Peggiec@roadrunner.com

Unknown said...

This is my first mystery quilt. Excited to try it.

MommaJ said...

Oops. On Facebook I am Peggie Pelletier Chouinard

Unknown said...

New to quilting. Will see how I do. Thank you
cthugabear3@gmail.com

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

Thanks for the Mystery! It is fabulous so far.

Unknown said...

So excited to do my first mystery quilt! ruth_rainey@yahoo.com

Gr8Potholders said...

Still need a couple fabrics. Trying to use up my existing stash. cdgearey@hotmail.com

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Sent my comment as a message and then saw where to comment. Oops
Anna B

Unknown said...

I’m excited as I’ve never finished a mystery quilt! Doing this with my friend Barb for inspiration !! Now to choose my fabrics! Dbrat37@hotmail.com

Unknown said...

This is my first mystery quilt, so excited! patriciaanorman@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Love the first block and am very much looking forward to the rest! thanks!!!

Unknown said...

Excited to get started!!!! Now to pick my fabrics!! Sunnymex4@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Thank you for doing a mystery quilt! I enjoy them!

MC Dance Academy said...

Can’t wait to get started. This will be my first bed sized quilt. I plan on using red tones for it. Christyaubrey74@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Looking forward to the mystery quilt - thank you for giving us this opportunity......dianequilts96@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Thank you for planning this Mystery Quilt for us. I love love love medallion quilts. Do you have a preference on the width of the small stripe border fabric? I can’t wait to do this! Thank you again.

Sheepish said...

Thanks for planning this. It's helping me to get my quilt mojo back. I like having a deadline. Glo

Unknown said...

I haven't started the mystery quilt yet, but have read through the fabric requirements and the first block. I'm so excited about getting started! This ought to be great fun - I just love mysteries! beezee272000@yahoo.com

Genie said...

This is my first mystery quilt. Looking forward to it.

Kathy S. said...

So excited to get started! Thank you for sharing your time, talent and knowledge with us. This will be my first mystery quilt.

Unknown said...

Love of the first block of the mystery quilt.
sewuniquequilting@comcast.net

Mary K said...

Thanks for hosting this mystery quilt challenge. Looking forward to learning new techniques. Jamber451@msn.com

Dorie said...

I love mystery quilts! Thank you for this. grammador@gmail.com

Jona Kay logsdon said...

I am fairly new to quilting and am excited to learn more techniques from you in this mystery quilt. Thank you for all the hard work you put into making this project available to us.

kaym said...

Very excited to do this mystery quilt. I’ve never done one before and so waitindpg to see what each block will be is going to be a personal challenge. Kmulln3@msn.com

Unknown said...

Looks like i will be learning a lot!
rose.grace3740@gmail.com

Unknown said...

I enjoyed making your creme de la creme quilt, so when I saw your were doing this mystery quilt, I was so excited! Trudikolk@gmail.com

Bridget said...

I am excite to start. I haven’t made a full quilt before, just a few table runners. I’m nervous but excited to try new things and thanks for the opportunity!

Unknown said...

Looking forward to some new techniques!
rose.grace3740@gmail. Com

Unknown said...

Thanks for all the info you provided. I am in the process of ripping apart several squares from quilt blocks I thought were sown properly but definitely aren't! I could really use your 1/4 " seam helper!!!luczak@vianet.ca

ratterriergal said...

I've done a mystery quilt, it should be fun.
ts224us@yahoo.com

Robin Farmer Siler said...

I am really excited for this challenge. I love the mystery of not knowing what it will look like in the end. I am also happy that I was able to convince my daughter to join the challenge, I'm sure she will enjoy it. I'm looking forward to what comes next. lighthousebeach58@gmail.com

Ila said...

Starting early took me by surprise...but I'm pulling fabrics NOW and can't wait to get started! I have a few days of vacation...I may spend them auditioning fabric :-)

Lainey said...

I got a late start joining and I still have to pick my fabrics. I hope to get caught up this week. Looking forward to this as I haven't done a medallion quilt before

Friday Fashions said...

I love the idea of a mystery quilt. It will be very possible to come up with a beautiful quilt by using your fabric guidelines. Of course, not everyone will use the same fabrics but I like that you guided us towards a dominant print and a coordinated strip. Then we can choose other fabrics in light to dark.

Unknown said...

So happy to be joining this will be my first quilt. I am an experienced sewer but this will be my first quilt
Grinchy200@MSN.COM

Terri Todd said...

Thank you for designing this mystery quilt. The first block looks great, and I am looking forward to the rest.

Carol Fish said...

I'm very excited to make this new mystery quilt. You will show us how to make a wonderful quilt.
Carol Fish

Unknown said...

This is my first mystery quilt. Looking forward to the learning part.

Margacat said...

Still trying to get fabrics together. Thought I should find "a small border print" first to co-ordinate with since that will be the hardest to find. (At least for me) margacat@sbcglobal.net

MIBUS said...

Love a good mystery so this should be fun and a good learning experience. I'm still learning the different ways of doing the cutting and getting my seams matched up even with measuring several times before cutting. Practice makes perfect :-)

MIBUS said...

Looking forward to doing the mystery quilt
Still learning new techniques and getting my seams matched up
:-)
pjhackman@yahoo.com

Jessica J said...

Beautiful first block. I'm looking forward to the rest of them!

Unknown said...

I love the first block can't wait to do the next one,

miks said...

Great fun and love the chance to continue to learn.
toozie@frontier.com

miks said...

Great fun!!!

toozie@frontier.com

miks said...

I think this will be great fun!


toozie@frontier.com

Robin said...

This is my first quilt and I am so excited! Mamascrap@live.com

beebop said...

Looking forward to starting this mystery quilt!

Trudy Keller said...

I have just moved into my new home and am hoping to be able to get my sewing room set up soon so that I will be able to start this quilt.

DebbeeGee said...

Thanks for this fun mystery! Thanks too for your blog info on your quilt patterns. Am signing up for bloglovin you next!

Unknown said...

Loved the first block... can't wait to get started...Thank you for making quilting easier for me...

Ann said...

This is my first mystery block challenge, looking forward to it

Ann said...

This is my first mystery block challenge, looking forward to it

Unknown said...

I am new to quilting and this is my first mystery block challenge, I'm excited to get started and to be challenged by new patterns and techniques. I love your blog post and am looking forward to the future installments.

bookw0rm said...

This will be my first mystery quilt, too. I've picked my fabrics and I'm waiting a couple days (to make sure I still like them) before I start cutting.

Unknown said...

Thank you for the detailed information and clear instructions. I've never quilted before and am really looking forward to it. Thank you so much.

Lucy said...

I have a beautiful piece of fabric I’ve been wanting to use in a quilt.
It will be my main print for the lap size quilt. My first quilt was a Mystery quilt by Kimberly Einmo in her Craftsy class. It was so much fun!!

nancyjo1557 said...

Thank you for the tutorial. I think it's going to be very helpful.

Valhawaii said...

Thank you. kohala55@yahoo.com

Valhawaii said...

Thank you. apollochinen@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Thank You. smartd@xtra.co.nz

Unknown said...

I love a mystery! Using my bee fabrics!

cmykrgb said...

Learning different ways to make HST and Flying Geese. Thanks for your detailed illustrated posts.

Barbara Ferguson said...

Thanks for the tutorial!

This is my first pieced quilt in over 20 yrs! I usually do strip quilts but wanted to step outside my box per say and this is the perfect challenge for me. Still trying to master the whole "flying geese" but I know with practice I'll get there!

Can't wait to see whats next!!

Jessica K said...

My first quilt...ever! Looking forward to it! :)

Robin said...

I do the large square with 4 small squares FG. Do you know what the measurements would be for the large and small squares to get the size you want?

Unknown said...

It's a great block, and my 11-yr old son is going to attempt this quilt as soon as we pick our fabrics. :)

Grandma Pat said...

I'm excited to get started at this, but a little late, too. Having just changed from a queen-size bed to a king-size, I had a rather large emergency quilt to make. It will be ready for the quilter today, thank goodness. Thanks for providing this challenge.

Unknown said...

I’m waiting for the postie to deliver a new rotary cuter before I get started!

Unknown said...

I love that cutting corners tool I can't wait to see how you use it on HST and QST, I look forward to the mystery I have never done a medallion quilt.

Lynn Vogeley said...

So excited to get my fabrics and get started!

Lynn Vogeley said...

Excited to get my fabrics and get started!

Rebecca said...

This is my first mystery quilt & I’m very excited about participating. Thanks in advance for all the work you’ve put into this!

nicolesender said...

I just found the mystery quilt information. Sounds like fun and will be a challenge for me.
nikilsend(at)outlook(dot)com

Unknown said...

So excited to try a medallion quilt. And love the new flying geese technique

Unknown said...

Exited for my first medallion quilt. Love the new flying geese technique!

Wayne miller said...

I like the idea of a medallion mystery quilt. I hope to post what I am doing with my quilt soon. Thanks for another great quilt idea

Wayne miller said...

Great idea. Love it. I always have difficulty posting. So I have yet to do so

MaDeare said...

I have never made a mystery quilt perhaps because I have always hated surprises. I just finished printing the first two weeks of instruction. It will be a challenge for me for sure. The colors of your fabric are lovely. Tomorrow I will purchase the Dr. S moleskin padding and two new seam rippers. ;-) I will check the stash before shopping and IF, I learn one new thing, I will consider it a successful day.

Unknown said...

Hi
Very excited to be joining
How much of each colour fabric will I need?
I think I missed that detail somewhere?
😁