This quilt has been a learning experience for me. Not only did I make a block that I have never made before, I used some stitches on my new sewing machine that I don't use, and tried a new binding technique.
I did have to draw a new name for the last drawing. Mona Phelps of Versailles, Kentucky won the mini challenge prize. Congrats Mona! Your prize went in the mail today.
After making the Dresden plates (one whole center and four corners) I placed them on the background fabric. I chose black, not only because I like black in quilts, but I thought it would accent these fabric better than a light background. I over-cut my center square so that I could square it off after attaching the plate to the fabric.
Before sewing on the actual block, I had to figure out which thread(s) and decorative stitches I wanted to use, so I played around on some blades that I had sewn together just to play on. I had to determine how wide to make the stitch and the length of the stitch to use. Once I found what I liked I made a chart of the stitch, width and length number. I ended up using Superior's Rainbows thread. It is a very fine variegated polyester thread. I didn't want the stitches to overpower the quilt.
Before sewing the plates down, I pinned them in every blade to hold it down to the backing. Here I sewed down along all the seam lines on the blades. Since I had 6 different blades, I used 6 different decorative stitches.
After stitching all of the blades down, I trimmed the center square and sewed them together. I didn't need to trim the triangles since I cut the long edges to match the edges of the square. (The finished size of the square plus 7/8" cut into 2 half-square triangles.)
Now I needed to put the small circles (and quarter-square circles) on the centers of the blocks. I like to use a freezer paper method of making my appliqué circles. I wasn't doing raw edge appliqué so I added 1/2" to the center circle and cut out the fabric. I then cut a circle of freezer paper that was 1/2" smaller. I placed this shiny side up on the back of the fabric circle, centering it.
I then used a hot iron and slowly pressed the edges of the circle down on the freezer paper making sure that I didn't press any pleats as I went along. Because the shiny side is up it stuck to the paper. I did the same process with the quarter circles for the corner units but only had to press under the curved edge.
I used a blanket stitch.
After sewing, I cut the center out of the back and pulled out the freezer paper. If a few pieces of paper remain, it won't be noticeable. Now I could sew all of the sections together.
I layered my quilt top, batting ( I used Quilter's Dream Black poly) and backing and started to quilt it on my longarm machine. I just quilted a quarter inch inside the blades with the new Superior MicroQuilter thread. You can see information about it here: Superior MicroQuilter.
I don't want my quilting to overpower the quilt so I like that it is a very fine thread. I also used that thread in the border. I started to echo stitch with a black thread around the petals, but realized that it would not be as accurate as doing it on my regular sewing machine since I wanted to stitch it in 1/4" intervals, so I took it off the machine and proceeded to finish it on my regular sewing machine, using the edge of my quarter inch foot as my guide.
Thank you for reading! I hope that you also learned some new things along with me.
Again I will be having a prize drawing of some fat eights of this collection and my personally designed acrylic "Binding Minder". To be eligible please leave a comment as to what you learned from this blog. Don't forget to leave some way of contacting you. I will have an extra prize for anyone who can give a name to this quilt that I like.
As always, do what you love and love what you do. Feel free to forward and share this blog with your quilting friends.