Search This Blog

Sunday, February 17, 2019

NATIONAL QUILTER'S CIRCLE MYSTERY WEEK 2

BLOCKS 2 AND 3


Don't sew when you are tired!

I was recently diagnosed with Fibromyagia. Those who are not familiar with the disease, some of the symptoms are fatigue and Fibro-Fog. You know what the first one means, the second symptom means what it sounds like. I am constantly in a fog. I forget things easily (walk into a room and forget what I went there for, well some of that can be due to age!), I get easily distracted, I forget what someone tells me seconds after they tell me, and it is difficult to concentrate. I know some of you will tell me that you have those too if you are over 65! 

The other symptom (fatigue) causes me to be tired all the time. I can fall asleep anywhere; in front of my computer, my sewing machine, and the tv. I could sleep 12 hours and still be tired. There are other symptoms but they are being somewhat controlled with medication.

I started the day getting up early for an eye appointment. I had planned when I got home to work on a couple new versions of block 2. I had felt tired even when I got up so I knew it was going to be a bad day. Well, when I got home I sat on the couch catching up on emails and I fell asleep. I woke up in time to eat lunch and my husband had some things to do outside so I sat down in front of the tv and fell asleep again! Well this went on all afternoon. Finally I got a chance to sew after dinner.

I will proceed to show you what happened when I tried to sew this block together. I don't mind telling you that I make mistakes when I quilt but these were doozies! 

SEWING BLOCK 2 USING TEMPLATES

I don't have to stress how important it is to have an accurate 1/4" seam allowance when piecing with the templates. Use your best method for getting a consistent 1/4". I talked about how I do it in earlier blogs but just in case you haven't seen it, you can check out my Youtube video. You can purchase my Accurate 1/4" Seam guide here: Seam guide.


When you cut out the pieces, with the templates, make sure you place the correct fabric on top and make sure that the templates are face up. It helps to write the letter of the template and number of the block on the top of the templates.

Lay three of the pieces (right or left side) in the block looking at the image of the block in the instructions. Template B looks like the two opposite sides are the same size but they are actually slightly different. Also A and C are similar, but one is slightly bigger than the other, so be sure to keep them separate with the correct labeled template.
It is easy to get them mixed up, but when you put them next to A or C you will see that the edges do not line up. Here is what I did. 



I looked at it and didn't think it seemed right but the edges of B line up with the edges of A and C so I figured it had to be right. I wanted you to see what it looks like if B is in the wrong direction. Remember, this is suppose to make a right triangle (a triangle with a 90ยบ angle).



So I thought maybe if I sew them together it will look right. So I sewed the 3 pieces together and laid them on the edge of my table. I noticed that the seam dipped at the point but again I thought, maybe sewing the two halves together will fix that. It made a triangle!



So I sewed the two halves together. I knew it definitely didn't look right. It wasn't even square! So I tried to figure out what I did wrong. (I got really friendly with "Jack".)



As I said, my brain is constantly in a fog so, I really couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. I was looking at the image of the block (was I seeing it correctly?) and my pieces and I was getting very frustrated! So my last resort was to get out the paper pieced section and place my pieces on top of it. The light bulb went on! I was placing the B template backwards! That's why the edges still matched.



To make sure that I was piecing it correctly from this point forward, I folded down A on top of B, pinned and sewed them together.



I laid it back onto the paper and then folded it down over C, pinned and sewed them together.



I repeated with the other half.



Then I could chain stitch the other sections to make it go faster. Make sure you piece from A to C pressing to C on the right side and from C to A pressing to A on the left side.

Here are some images for sewing the pieces together and where to match the tops, bottoms, and seams. The templates are made so that there is very little guessing when laying the pieces together. When matching seams I like to pull one side back to see if they match and then I pin on two sides.



MATCHING SEAMS


MATCHING POINTS



MATCHING CENTERS


Remember, the A piece is on the OUTSIDE of the block.

THIS


NOT THIS


I know they look similar but the A piece is skinnier than the C piece in this block. Isn't it amazing how everything works together when you put the pieces in the right direction! Here is the finished block.


Of course I had to fussy cut it. Not sure how much I like it. It will look better on-point.


Block 3 is very similar to block 1. The C template is a little skinnier and longer than the A template. Be sure to keep them separate and labeled. Here are some tips when piecing to check to see if you are placing the patches together correctly and your 1/4" seam is accurate.

Check your edges after you sew. They should be straight.


And you should have a nice 1/4" seam allowance at the point.



Here is one quarter of the block. A is on the top and left side. C is in the center. You can see that the C on this block is very close in size to the A but it is longer and skinnier.


Here is my finished second version of block 3. I used some of my own dyed fabrics that I dyed over 20 years ago!


I haven't fussy cut it yet. But will post it when I do.

DRAWING WINNER

Congratulations to Robin Boehler! She won a batik bundle for leaving a comment. She said "Thank you Toby for sharing your design and your expertise." I will be giving away another bundle of batiks, so be sure to leave a comment and some way of contacting you (your email would be best). If you don't and I draw your name you will miss out on a prize. 

I hope you get a chance to check out my website. I always have great deals on fabrics and I have some new kits and patterns. I will be posting the batiks used in my original design if there are any left over after this last shipment. I appreciate that you all have been so patient in getting the kits. They should all go out this week. Also if you belong to a quilt guild, I love to travel and teach. Feel free to pass on my information to your program chairperson.


As always: Do what you love and love what you do.


72 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for challenging us to go outside our comfort zone with this mystery. I like to know the end result before starting most projects. Mitzi Cassell

Unknown said...

I have fibromyalgia and have suffered the symptoms for years. You are amazing with all that you are able to do. I love the fussy cut block. I hope to someday try one with paper piecing. Thanks so much for teaching us "newbies".

Unknown said...

Your block patterns are so creative. I can’t wait to start this quilt.

MTayon said...

Thanks for the demo!

Unknown said...

Thanks for all your hard work, I am in love with paper piecing!

Janifer said...

I am like how you give instructions on PP, makes it simple . I just having trouble cutting my fabric and turning it the right way,so I just slowed down and that helped. Thanks for taking your time to show us this Learning a lot and enjoying

Janifer Carpenter

Denise said...

Thank you Toby for the beautiful paper pieced blocks! The first three blocks are great fun.

Denise said...

Thank you, Toby for the beautiful block patterns! I am enjoying this Mystery quilt along!

Unknown said...

I am really loving this challenge since I have never paper pieced before. In fact it’s been a few years since I’ve “true quilted” as I’ve been busy doing rag quilts and t-shirt quilts for grandchildren. Thank you for taking the time to do this.

Michelle W said...

Thank you for sharing about your Fibromyagia and fribro-fog. It helps to know that even the experts have days where one's health get in the way,and allows for many odd mistakes. I'm going thru some heath issues that have made me stare at this pattern as though it was written by a Martian. I really appreciated the clear pictures on this blog, and how you show how to line up seams for the assembly of the blocks. I LOVE the fabric you dyed and "fussy cut."
Thank you SO MUCH for all your hard work for this wonderful free pattern.

Unknown said...

Looking forward to getting started on this challenge since I finally picked up printer ink. Sue Rogers @ bbrsmr@twc.com

Cheryl Perez said...

It’s interesting to see these blocks take shape. They play tricks with your eyes. Can’t wait to see what is coming next.
Cheryl Perez clynnperez48@gmail.com

Tori said...

Thanks for sharing this with us. It's nice to know we all have moments where things are just off. I'm really liking this challenge. I haven't started my 2 and 3 blocks yet but I can't wait to tackle them. toribradford@gmail.com

Melanie said...

Toby, you have expanded my capabilities. Without your mysteries I would not have progressed this far. I have to say that paper piecing has been my biggest challenge yet but I will persevere!! Thanks for your guidance.
Melanie Herzfeld
(melanieh@optonline.net)

Melanie said...

I neglected to say I hope your fibromyalgia becomes less of an issue. I can only imagine how awful you must feel. I myself have an autoimmune disease and I can say that pain and fatigue are a really debilitating combination. Best wishes to you!!
Melanie Herzfeld
melanieh@optonline.net

Unknown said...

Thanks for all the tips ... my first quilt challenge and I am learning lots! Tiggrpls3@aol.com

Jenny Murray said...

Thank you for the video on the quarter inch seam. Looks like I will be getting some foam this week.

Unknown said...

I love the fussy cut block, it is beautiful!
little_grannie@yahoo.com

LINDA FISHER said...

Thank you for this great challenge. I am definitely out of my comfort zone, but loving it. I don't have any close friends who sew and this group is my lifeline!
Linda Fisher
Chilehead98@yahoo.com



Chi

Unknown said...

Glad I found this blog. Thanks for the tips. When I start my quilt I will definitely look back at this

Miss Jean said...

You are a great teacher. Thanks for all the information you share.

Unknown said...

Thanks for all the tips and I will definitely be back to this when I start my quilt. Prayers to you for your health.

Unknown said...

I'm loving this challenge. I'd never tried paper piecing and I am now in love with it! Points are so precise! I am learning lots of new things and can't wait to see how it all comes together. Thanks again. jem.events@yahoo.com

Debbie said...

Loving this quilt challenge. Can’t wait to see the rest of squares and the completed project

Debbie said...

Loving this challenge, can’t wait to see the finished project.

Ann said...

Toby, I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. But it is just amazing all that you get accomplished in spite of the fatigue and fog. All your quilt designs are wonderful. As soon as I get caught up a bit with other projects in the works, I just have to have your little fishes quilt pattern. It has stolen my heart. Ann Fitzmorris

Gail said...

This is an exciting challenge. I appreciate your tutorials and tips. jgsowin@gmail.com

mhscffcoach said...

Love the seam guide! I am paper piecing but like that you show how to build the blocks with the templates.

Sarah said...

These are great tips! Thanks for sharing!

Blaack Sheep Designs said...

As a new quilter, I’m going to find your blog a very useful resource! I’ve already sewed up my first 3 blocks and I’m getting better with each one. I’m having a blast sewing this mystery quilt! Thank you!

Crad said...

Thank you. The explanation is very helpful. Carol R. Aradawitz3466@charter.net

A Rose said...

This has been such a fun was of learning a new (to me) method
Aliciarosborn(at) gmail(dot) com

Unknown said...

Thank you for these wonderful block designs and all the helpful information. I love this "paper pieced mystery"
Linda
Lindasue52@hotmail.com

Sheree A. said...

Thank you for teaching us. I appreciate you giving of your time and talent. I have been working on the first block and I think I'm getting the hang of it. I do enjoy the process.

sh_adair@yahoo.com

Gene Black said...

I don't have Fibromyalgia but I know I shouldn't sew (or quilt) when I am tired. Last night I quilted almost two lengths of my quilt with no bobbin thread before I noticed it.

babsinmass said...

This is my first paper pieced project, I’m enjoying the learning process, and trying not to become discouraged by all the great blocks I’ve seen on FB. Thank you for this challenge.

Anonymous said...

I too have some chronic health issues that often keeps me out of the sewing room; I was diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer (though I have never smoked). I actually took up EPP because I can do it seated. Not sure if I will do the template method as I think that is much like I do my piece work now. I will probably stick with freezer paper method so I can master it! I WILL be attempting a fussy cut block because I have a butterfly batik I have been contemplating using. Thank you for the encouragement!

Unknown said...

Thank you Toby, for sharing. I too have been dealing with Fibro for many years and there have been many a day when I just shake my head at my mistakes and come back when the fog is less.

I applaud anyone willing to share their errors; we learn so much from the mistakes and they give us courage to try again, Thank you!

Also thank you (and Ashley) for sharing different paper piecing techniques. I am looking forward to trying them all and seeing which one works best for me. I am so glad I found your Mystery Quilts this past fall, I've been having a blast following along and seeing everyone's take each week. THANK YOU, again!

Unknown said...

Thank you Toby, for sharing. I too have been dealing with Fibro for many years and there have been many a day when I just shake my head at my mistakes and come back when the fog is less.

I applaud anyone willing to share their errors; we learn so much from the mistakes and they give us courage to try again, Thank you!

Also thank you (and Ashley) for sharing different paper piecing techniques. I am looking forward to trying them all and seeing which one works best for me. I am so glad I found your Mystery Quilts this past fall, I've been having a blast following along and seeing everyone's take each week. THANK YOU, again!

Melanie said...

I have Multiple Sclerosis so I completely understand fatigue and brain fog - along with many other symptoms. Sorry that you deal with fibromyalgia. I'm really enjoying this challenge. I love your fabric choices!

Shirley Blackall said...

I'm hoping to be able to get started on the mystery quilt yet this week - and catch up. Loving your blogs and videos.

Betsy said...

Thanks for the great info! I am really enjoying this challenge!

Unknown said...

I have completed both blocks. This time I did not have the same level of difficulty as I have learned from my previous mistakes. I need to do a better job of pressing as I had some slop in section B/Br but I figured it out and only had to restitch one section of one quadrant. I hope you are feeling better and are taking good care of yourself.

Bev @ kwiltpharm said...

So sorry to hear about the fibro diagnosis but it does help to have an answer to all the questions and fears that I know you have had the past months. As a pharmacist I am going to suggest you investigate healing the gut with dietary changes to help with the symptoms. (Found out I was gluten sensitive while doing this, and gluten is one of the highest inflammatory food out there, along with sugar and lactose.)
The blocks are beautiful and interesting. Too bad I have so many other projects in process and am on a "do not start anything else" self imposed ban!

Unknown said...

I have yet to start this challenge, though I have been watching from the beginning. I appreciate your teaching style and that you are taking the time to show us how to get it done. It’s shaping up nicely.

polarwitch@hotmail.com

Kelsey said...

I love the fussy cut square. Thank you for taking the time to put together this pattern for all of us!

Anonymous said...

I challenged myself to do this. I had to watch the videos and rip but I'm so inspired by other quilt projects that have been posted that I didn't give up.
I'm pleased that I'm now moving to block 2.


ajkom@comcast.net

Anonymous said...

I challenged myself to do this. I had to watch the videos and rip but I'm so inspired by other quilt projects that have been posted that I didn't give up.
I'm pleased that I'm now moving to block 2.


ajkom@comcast.net

Anonymous said...

Anita from Florida

I challenged myself to do this. I had to watch the videos and rip but I'm so inspired by other quilt projects that have been posted that I didn't give up.
I'm pleased that I'm now moving to block 2.


ajkom@comcast.net

Barbara Ferguson said...

I've been checking out videos and finally jumped in feet first this morning! I'm in love with the freezer paper method and as long as my folded lines are accurate, its a breeze! Thank you for all you do for us!

Pam said...

This is my first paper pieced project, so it's all a challenge for me as I am a beginner quilter. I have only used squares, rectangles and some half square triangles. I have made 3 quilts and still learning. I can't express to you how much I have learned from your paper pieced project through NQC!!! Thank you so much for sharing your incredible expertise! Also, I will be praying for you with your newly diagnosed condition.

Unknown said...

Thanks for putting this challenge together. First time paper piecing and although it was quite difficult at first, it is getting easier..

Michelle K. said...

Thanks for such a great mystery!!

dln13 said...

You are such an inspiration with your creativity and ability to break the designs down for us to understand. Thank you for teaching us so well.
God Bless and prayers as you learn to deal with the diagnosis. It is a difficult one.
Dayna
daynaln@gmail.com

Unknown said...

I told myself I was going to learn about paper piecing this year I have attempted it in the past and I was not so lucky in my attempts. But then I saw this challenge and decided that a friend of mine and I would try it together since she wanted to learn too. Not only did it have the paper piecing but three different ways to do it. I am loving this challenge and learning so much thank you so much for putting this together for us.

Unknown said...

Completed Blocks 2 & 3. Was able to complete both blocks faster and with less difficulty. Need to do a better job of pressing seams smooth and flat. ndrobniak4@hotmail.com

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for your time and expertise.

JoanneStanfield said...

Thanks for another great tutorial! I am hoping to try all 3 methods during the course of the challenge. So far I think that I have got my head around paper piecing. I also love the idea of fussy cutting for the blocks! Thanks again for another fun challenge! Joanne Stanfield (joannemorcom@gmail.con)

Carrie said...

Thank you for these tips, they are extremely helpful. This project has reminded me why I love paper piecing!

Dale said...

Glad to know that even seasoned quilters make mistakes. I get so frustrated sometimes. Love the blocks.

Maria said...

Great explanations of the why it’s important to check and double check each step with the instructions. Thank you for showing us that we are not alone in using “Jack”!
Savysewer2@hotmail.com

Sheepish said...

Thanks for the great blog...I love the fussy cut version and since I am going to hand piece and template piece...I've got to rethink...

Suellen said...

Wow this has a lot of great information. I'm still waiting for my fabric to arrive. I can't wait for it to show up and get started.

Unknown said...

I love both of your block versions! Love paper-piecing! Thank you!

Lakada08 said...

Thank you for all that you are doing for us!

Lakada08 said...

Thank you so much for all your hard work!

propswife said...

I can tell from all of your versions of the blocks that you are enjoying this, too. That makes the whole process more fun for us. Thanks for all of your hard work.

linda_collum@hotmail.com

SkiWheel said...

Your blog is invaluable to getting the most out of the NQC Paper Piecing Challenge!
I couldn't do it without you.
So glad I found this link.
Thanks for all your effort in helping to make us all better quilters!

Unknown said...

I received my material and just love it. Thank you so much for the copy of your book. Your designs are amazing and I am grateful for you sharing them with all of us. This is the first time I have done paper piecing and I am really enjoying it.


dakotama95@att.net

Unknown said...

Thank you for your videos and help on the challenge we are doing now. This is a great chance to learn paper piecing in an easy method with the help of you and your blog.

Idgie said...

Toby, Thank you so much for sharing this challenge.Im so looking forward to seeing the layout and to complete it. I did your last Medallion Mystery and think it was the best quilt ever! I understand your fibro myalgia and pray for you healing.
Dodie

Idgie said...

Thank you Toby, I cant wait till Friday! This us beautiful. My first paper piecing.