Search This Blog

Monday, February 19, 2018

State blocks and Galentine's winner!

First I have to apologize for not blogging sooner. I had a deadline to meet with one of the quilts I was making so that had to be done before I could do anything else. I finished it yesterday so now I can do more things including the next state blocks which will be in the next blog.

I always enjoy seeing what other quilters do with my designs. My goal, when I teach quilting, is to give quilters the tools to construct different types of blocks and a design as a stepping off point. It makes me feel good that many of them feel comfortable enough to branch out and make their own quilt and not just a replica of mine.

When I started this challenge in 2016 I had quite a few quilters who sent me their blocks and I shared them on my blog. I hope you go back and search to see some of the wonderful blocks that were made. I don't seem to have as many joining me this time. Maybe it was because I waited too long after doing the first state blocks and they have moved on. I would like to encourage you to join the challenge. Even if you just choose some of the blocks, you don't have to do all of them. I know, from talking to quilters, that many of you have a lot of projects going on and don't want to start another one. I certainly understand that. Did you know that it is no longer called a UFO (unfinished project), now it is called WIP (works in progress). Doesn't that sound much better! Just to try out my challenge you could make one block and turn it into a pillow. Not all quilting blocks have to be made into a quilt.

I did have one new quilter join in the challenge. Her name is Peggy True and she lives in San Antonio, Texas. She is the author of a book on quilted jackets called True Style.



She started doing the new blocks and enjoyed it so much she decided to go back and start from the beginning. I think she made 12 blocks in 2 weeks. She was on a roll! She told me she wanted to share the blocks with her quilt guild so she put them in a quilt. These are her blocks. She used a Jinny Beyer border print and other prints to fussy cut. She got very creative and fussy cut in places that I did not. Here are the blocks. She told me I could share a slide show of quilts she showed to her guild when she did a program. Peggy True quilt slide show. I can tell from her slide show that she does like to fussy cut! 














And here is her quilt. I love what she did with the Jinny Beyer border print.



Now to announce the winner of my Island Batik Galentine's drawing....jrquilts. Not sure what her name is because she didn't give it to me. Here is what she said she was going to do with her mug rug.
"I think I will make it for my daughter, she lives in California". JR said she lives in Canada but has a US address that I can mail the prize to. JR, if you read this you need to email me with your address so I can send you your prize.

Now to get back to making more state blocks and some new Island Batik projects. Stay tuned!!!!!

As always: Do what you love and love what you do. Thanks for reading and feel free to forward and share my blog with your quilting friends.

No comments: